Tuesday, October 4, 2011

When the Dogs are Away... the Cats Shall Play


Tyler started work yesterday.  It was a big day for him... and us.  Doesn't he look handsome in his new suit?!  He has new employee orientation all week.  People from all  over the world were joining him at the orientation.  He also met the Partner and the group that he will be working with.  His workspace will be on the top floor of his building with a breathtaking view of the Tower of London, the Thames, the beautiful bridges lining the river way, and the horizon of the cityscape all around.  Today he is attending an all day special area wide conference at the London film museum right next to Westminster Abbey.  When he called me today, he told me that the clocks in the conference room weren't working, but he could see Big Ben standing tall right outside the window- so he could keep track of time just fine.  I couldn't resist asking if he ever imagined that he would be in a situation where he relied solely upon Big Ben for the time.

...And yes, it was a big day for Ady & I because it was our first attempt at facing the city without a confident guide to lead us around.  I feel pretty confident about navigating maps, the tube, & finding our way home by myself, but I get nervous about running about the city with a little 3 year old at my side.  I have no doubt that it will be easier once we get into our own place where the pace of the area is a bit slower and better for families with kids, but for now, we are in the heart of the business world- and there just are not kids- or anything remotely kid-like anywhere around here.

Today I threw caution to the wind and decided we would bust out of our flat to head for the Princess Diana Memorial Playground at Hyde Park.  I researched out the closest & easiest route on the tube, packed up our lunch, camera, & umbrella and Ady & I embarked on our big journey.  It was worth every bit of effort.  The playground was absolutely amazing!!!  It contained about 8 different sections to it- including an area with a mini neighborhood of pint-sized log cabins that Ady could crawl all over and inside of & wooden play equipment, an area with a huge nearly life sized wooden pirate ship with several mini ships nearby that were suspended by chains in the air, a water play area with rock alligators and rock islands all around, an area with 3 big canvas teepees, an area with musical playground equipment- to make all sorts of interesting sounds, and much more.  It was the best playground I have ever seen!  We spent hours there just playing and having a ball.  I think we will head for the Tate Modern tomorrow.  It is FREE to the public & is supposed to have a great kids section.







 



 


                     


                                                    



                                              

And this familiar friend was waiting for us when we got near home...  so I was sure I hadn't gotten us lost on our big day out.  PHEW!



3 comments:

  1. I so wish there was a place like this around here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you guys are really experiencing some fun things and times. Keep on having fun and posting pictures and articles for us less brave people to read! Kaye

    ReplyDelete